Looking back: Bridge at Leuchars Railway Station

editorial image

This picture shows the steps leading up to the bridge over the railway line at Leuchars station, though we’re unsure of the year.

The station opened on its current site on June 1, 1878, then was rebuilt after burning to the ground in 1913.

This was strongly rumoured to have been an act of arson by suffragettes.

After the closure of the Tayport line in 1967 and the St Andrews branch on January 6, 1969, the station ceased to be a junction and renamed ‘Leuchars (for St Andrews)’.