We’re not sure of the exact date of this picture, which shows residents of the Lang Toun taking a stroll along the sea front (note the number of chimneys in the back ground!).
We can be sure however that it was taken after 1923. That was when the first sea wall was built and the esplanade was completed.
The project was undertaken by the Corporation of Kirkcaldy during a period of trade depression and gave work to many of the town’s unemployed. It was constructed in 1922-23.
In 2014 the aging seawall, which was suffering from erosion after almost 100 years, was refurbished and heightened to help protect the esplanade, with new seating and lighting installed at a cost of £9m.