Looking back: Madras FP rugby team warm up at Station Park

editorial image

The Madras College Former Pupils Rugby Club are pictured putting themselves through some line-out practice ahead of a match at Station Park in the 1970s.

The club is a rugby union team and still represents the town. Although maintaining close ties to Madras College not all players are former pupils of the St Andrews school.

The town has been instrumental in the development of rugby in Scotland with the sport being introduced to St Andrews University in 1858 shortly after it was established in Scotland in 1857.