Allan Bryant search: We will never give up, but this is a living hell

Police officers at the scene of last week's grim discovery in Riverside Park.

Police officers at the scene of last week's grim discovery in Riverside Park.

0
Have your say

The father of missing Glenrothes man Allan Bryant has described the last week as a “living hell” for his family following the discovery of skeletal remains in Riverside Park.

He said the announcement on Saturday afternoon by forensic officers that the identity of the body was not his son but that of Wayne Fleming, one of the three other missing persons with Glenrothes links, has proved a devastating blow.

Allan Bryant Jnr

Allan Bryant Jnr

“It’s been a very emotional and traumatic last few days,’’ he said.

‘‘The outcome leaves us no further forward - the pain continues.

“I don’t know where we now go to from here in our efforts to bring Allan home. We are back to square one.”

Allan Jnr was 23 at the time of his disappearance.

We are completely low at the moment, but we will never give up our efforts to bring Allan home

Allan Bryant snr

He has not been seen since he left Styx nightclub in the town in the early hours of Sunday, November 3, 2013.

Mr Bryant had thought there was an outside chance that the discovery could be his son because of an unconfirmed possible sighting of him near the vicinity of the Town Park on the night he went missing.

“I wasn’t sure really but we had to go through the process, it was agony waiting for the identity to be confirmed, I was sick to the pit of my stomach,” he said.

He was also critical of Police Scotland’s handling of the latest events, revealing that he was only informed of the discovery and subsequent identification by way of a phone call.

Wayne 'Bagsy' Fleming

Wayne 'Bagsy' Fleming

“We’ve had no visit from anyone connected with the enquiry into our son’s disappearance in recent weeks, I’m disgusted and feel completely let down,” he explained.

“I’ve been critical of the way the police have handled Allan’s plight for a long time now and everything I’ve experienced this week only goes to confirm that view.”

Mr Bryant Snr also spoke of the anguish other families in a similar situation must have been going through.

As well as the search for his son, officers have also been continuing missing persons enquiries regarding Kirkcaldy man Sandy Clarke who disappeared after leaving Victoria Hospital on June 4, 2013; teenager Kenneth Jones who vanished from Glenrothes in November, 1998, and, most recently, 39-year-old Wayne Fleming who had not been seen since March this year.

“My thoughts and sympathy go out to the family of Wayne,’’ he said.

‘‘I share their grief following the news that their loved one is gone, it’s such a shame.’’

“But for the Bryants, the pain goes on.

“We are completely low at the moment, but we will never give up our efforts to bring Allan home and we must thank the public for their many messages of support. It’s been a massive help.”

The family’s Find Allan Bryant Facebook page now has over 32,000 followers, with over 4000 new followers since the park discovery.

He praised all those who turned out for a special car meet in Glenrothes on Saturday.

Around 100 vehicles gathered in a show of support for the family.

Death being treated as ‘unexplained’

The skeletal remains of the body found by teenagers in Riverside Park last week have been identified as missing Glenrothes man Wayne Fleming.

The grim discovery was made around 4pm on Tuesday in dense undergrowth close to a busy footpath.

Police sealed off the immediate area before forensic officers arrived at the scene to carry out their examination of woodland.

The 39-year-old, known also as Bagsy, had been the subject of an extensive missing persons inquiry in recent weeks following the confirmation that he had not been seen near his home in Glenrothes since March.

Detective Sergeant Sean Ferrier confirmed the identity of the body and added: “Officers have been in contact with Mr Fleming’s family since the discovery of the remains and we continue to offer our support to them during this very sad time.”

Police Scotland said it was continuing to treat the death as unexplained as the investigation continued.

The discovery fuelled speculation that the body could be one of a number of missing men including Allan Bryant who has not been seen since he left Styx nightclub in the early hours of November 3, 2013.

The families of Sandy Clarke, who went missing after leaving Victoria Hospital in Kirkcaldy on June 4 2013 and 18-year-old Glenrothes teenager Kenneth Jones, who has not been seen since leaving his home in Ancrum Court on November 3, 1998, were also informed of the park discovery.

“We have also informed the families of other local missing men from the Glenrothes area to make them aware of this development,” said DS Ferrier.