Bridge safety call after tragic death in Glenrothes

There have been safety calls following the incident last week
There have been safety calls following the incident last week
0
Have your say

Calls have been made to increase the sides of a pedestrian footbridge over a busy freeway in Glenrothes after a man plunged to his death.

The man died after falling from the Stenton footbridge which spans the B921 Kinglassie Road at around 7.30am on Wednesday, September 30.

I will be looking into the possible bridge additions to see what is realistically achievable

Councillor Ross Vettraino

Police immediately closed the eastbound carriageway while emergency services attended the scene before reopening it to motorists around 11am.

Police have not named the man but confirmed the death was not being treated as suspicious and that a report had been submitted to the procurator fiscal as was routine in such circumstances.

In the wake of the incident, there have been renewed calls to improve safety at the bridge to prevent further tragedy.

Peter Scobie, chairman of Pitteuchar, Stenton and Finglassie Community Council said his thoughts were with the family of the man, adding the tragedy was a wake up call to make the bridge safer.

“This tragic incident has shocked the community; it highlights the urgent need to reconsider the bridge and the safety of both pedestrians and motorists,” said Mr Scobie.

“There have been incidents of bricks being thrown at passing motorists, it’s time to see if there is anything we can do to minimise the various risks.”

Mr Scobie told the Gazette he would be contacting all of the ward councillors to see what options were available.

“The footbridge has been the subject of various concerns by residents in recent times, especially the issue of missiles being thrown at passing motorists which is completely unacceptable and irresponsible. It’s time to act on those concerns,” he added.

A police spokesman said they were aware that the bridge had been the subject of youths targeting motorists previously and said they would continue to monitor the situation as they have been since the incident was reported.

Glenrothes councillor Ross Vettraino, whose ward the bridge is in, told the Gazette he had not been made aware of any community concerns but said he would support any such request from the public to make improvements to the footbridge.

“As the bridge comes under the responsibility of Fife Council I have contacted transportation services to see what, if anything, can be done,” said Cllr Vettraino.

“Understandably, the erection of higher balustrades would not prevent someone intent on doing damage to themselves, but would prove a deterrent for those throwing objects from the bridge.

“I will be looking into the possible bridge additions to see what is realistically achievable.”