Cellardyke fire rescue

Firefighters spent a large part of the day at the scene
Firefighters spent a large part of the day at the scene
0
Have your say

A MAN in his 50s was taken to hospital last night (Tuesday) following a fire at a flat in Cellardyke.

The resident of West Forth Street was rescued by a female neighbour and was taken to Ninewells hospital by ambulance as he was suffering from smoke inhalation.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) operations control centre at Thornton had received a call at 9:41 p.m. to a smoke alarm going off.

On arrival, retained crews from Anstruther and St Monans stations discovered a male casualty in his 50s had been rescued and was outside the property.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire that was located in the back bedroom of the ground floor flat using two hose reel jets and four breathing apparatus sets. Crews then ventilated the flat with a PPV fan.

Station manager Tom Fox said: “The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service would like to commend the actions of the neighbours in raising the alarm quickly and in particular pay tribute to the female neighbour who entered the property and rescued the male occupant.

“Without these heroic actions this particular incident may have resulted in a tragic outcome.

“Fortunately, a working smoke detector alerted the neighbour to the fire and firefighters were able to get to the incident quickly.”

Were you the man who was rescued or were you the female hero? Get in touch with our news team by emailing mailnews@fifetoday.co.uk or call 01592 598813.