A CUPAR pensioner has criticised Fife Council for allegedly leaving her high and dry after a leak caused her bedroom ceiling to fall in.
Margaret Paxton (70) says that she first reported the leak in her Kinloss Crescent home in January, but nothing was done until emergency repairs had to be carried out when the ceiling collapsed six months later - by which time the house was riddled with damp.
Now she says it’s affecting her health and she’s suffering from chest pains and breathing difficulties.
Her shocked daughter Brenda Balnaves and her husband Eddie approached the Fife Herald after discovering Margaret’s plight during a surprise visit from their home in Canada to celebrate her 70th birthday.
“We stayed with Mum on our first night here and we couldn’t believe she was having to live in those conditions,” said Brenda.
“The damp is so bad that the wallpaper is peeling off the walls.”
Margaret, a widow, said she had lived in her ground floor flat for eight years with no problems until the leak developed in the flat above.
She said: “I reported it to the council several times but nobody did anything about it, even when I told them I was worried about the ceiling falling in.
“Eventually in June it did, and it was very fortunate that I wasn’t in the room at the time.
“It was only then that the leak was repaired, but a lot of damage had been done by that time.
“They said they would give the house a fungal wash if I moved the furniture out - but I don’t know how they expected me to do that, as I’m on my own and disabled.
“In any case, it’s reached the stage where it needs more than a fungal wash to sort out the problem.”
A spokesman for Fife Council said there had been a ‘breakdown in communication’ between themselves and Mrs Paxton, but they were due to visit her this week and would take appropriate remedial action.