Dogs saved from flames

KIRKCALDY;'95c Ramsay Road; flat above shop where suspicious fire happened'Photo ; WALTER NEILSON
KIRKCALDY;'95c Ramsay Road; flat above shop where suspicious fire happened'Photo ; WALTER NEILSON
0
Have your say

POLICE are investigating a fire at a Kirkcaldy flat that involved the rescue of five dogs from the flames.

Fife Police have confirmed they are looking into how the blaze started at a flat on Ramsay Road in the town on Saturday night.

Four fire engines attended the fire, which was started in the doorway of the flat, and spent almost three hours putting out flames and cutting away burned timbers afterwards.

Ambulances were called to the scene around 10.15 p.m. on Saturday, however no-one was injured in the incident.

Witnesses

Fife Police are now appealing for witnesses following the fire at 95-97 Ramsay Road, which is believed to have been started at around 10 p.m, with the fire service leaving the scene around 1 a.m.

Police are urging anyone with any information relating to the fire to come forward and contact them.

Meanwhile, Colin Grieve, group manager for community safety at Fife Fire and Rescue, said there are steps every householder should take to keep themselves safe from fire.

He said: “To keep your home safe from fire you must make sure you have a smoke alarm that works.

“Plan an escape route and check all appliances and sockets before you go to bed as you are more at risk from fire when asleep.

Safety checks

“We offer free home fire safety checks for everyone where we will check your smoke alarm and fit a new one where necessary, check your sockets and help you with an escape plan.”

Mr Grieve added that exits should be kept clear, and urged that if there is a fire it should not be tackled by anyone other than the fire service.

He added: “Keep calm and act quickly - get everyone out as soon as possible - don’t waste time investigating what’s happened or rescuing valuables.

“If there’s smoke keep low where the air is clear, and before you open a door check if it’s warm.

“If it is, don’t open it - there’s fire on the other side. As soon as you can, call 999.”