Early morning blaze at sewage works

The fire at the sewage treatment works in Kirkcaldy was caused by an electrical fault.
The fire at the sewage treatment works in Kirkcaldy was caused by an electrical fault.

FIREFIGHTERS fought a blaze at a water treatment works in Kirkcaldy for two hours on Saturday morning.

The fire at the sewage plant at Pathhead started at 3.30 a.m, and was sparked by an electrical fault in an outer building which caused two exterior electrical pumps to ignite.

Two engines from Kirkcaldy Fire Station rushed to the scene to tackle the blaze.

Thermal imaging equipment was also used to check the extent of the damage, before the crews left the scene at 5.50 a.m.

A spokesman for the service said that the blaze had been kept under control and had not spread to the main building at the plant.

Scottish Water said that although there was some damage to the fabric of the outer building it was not severe. The works had been unaffected and would continue to operate as usual.

The spokesman added: “A member of the public initially reported the fire and we were at the site as soon as possible to let the fire brigade access the works. We then immediately isolated the power and brought the situation under control.

“We are working with the manufacturer of the faulty equipment to get the works fully operational as soon as possible.”

Norma Rutherford, who lives in nearby Mid Street, raised the alarm.

“I was wakened by a loud bang and bright orange lights coming through the window at 3.30 a.m.,” she said.

“I phoned the fire service who were there within minutes.”

Mrs Rutherford was one of the locals who had complained about the rotten smell that used to come from the sewage works, and has concerns that there may be problems with the plant in the future.

She said: “The fire was situated in the newest part, which was built at a cost of over £4m a few years ago, to alleviate that stench.

“Up till now, it has worked pretty well, but do we really have to go through all that again?”

A spokesman for Scottish Water’s said that they could not yet estimate the cost of the damage to the sewage plant.