Emergency surgery for five-year-old after play park fall

Connor points to the broken glass still lying in the Thornton play park area.
Connor points to the broken glass still lying in the Thornton play park area.

A father has called on teenage drinkers to think again after his son needed emergency surgery after falling on broken bottles discarded in a children’s play park.

Ross Dewar made the dash to Victoria Hospital’s accident and emergency department on Saturday afternoon, shortly after Connor, his five-year-old son, fell on broken glass inside the play area in Thornton Park.

The damage to Connor's finger

The damage to Connor's finger

The gash severed several tendons in the youngster’s finger and medical staff told Ross the cut had missed the artery in his son’s finger by just a millimetre.

Nurses bandaged the hand but Connor needed to return the next day to allow surgeons to stitch inside the wound as well as externally.

“I couldn’t believe it when I first saw his hand, it was a mess with blood everywhere,” Ross told the Gazette.

“People need to be more responsible; there are two bins close by and yet someone though it was acceptable to smash the bottle knowing full well it was being discarded in a play area designed to be used by young children,” he added.

“Families like us use this park every week and the community council works hard to provide facilities, I just hope that Connor’s injury goes some way to highlighting the irresponsibility of discarding broken glass in the area and letting other parents know to be vigilant.”

Connor and his family now have a stressful two week wait to confirm whether the Thornton youngster has suffered any permanent damage to his hand.