Fire warning after four kitchen call-outs

Four out of six domestic fires in Levenmouth originated in the kitchen
Four out of six domestic fires in Levenmouth originated in the kitchen
0
Have your say

Methil Fire Station manager Stephen Thompson has issued a warning to local residents about staying safe in the kitchen.

Scottish Fire and Rescue figures reveal cooking to be the biggest cause of house fires in Scotland and of the six house fires in Levenmouth in December, four were caused by grill pans left unattended in domestic kitchens.

Stephen said: “Remember if you’re not concentrating, cooking the simplest meal can cause a fire. It’s easy to be distracted when cooking. It’s easy for a fire to start when cooking. It only takes a minute. Deep frying using fat or oil, such as a chip pan remains a major risk.”

When cooking, always keep grill pans clean, never dry tea towels or cloths on or above the cooker, never put any metal objects inside microwave ovens and turn pan handles to the side.

Also, do not cook if you have been drinking or have consumed drugs, and take extra care if you suffer from any illness, disability or take medications which make you careless or forgetful.

If fire does occur, do not throw water over the pan, turn the heat off if possible, get out of the kitchen and dial 999.