The Stob Cross
The oldest monument in Markinch can be found on the outskirts of the town.
The ancient Stob Cross stands on a hillock beside the East Lodge of Balbirnie House on the aptly named Stob Cross Road, leading northwards from Markinch.
The historic slab, with a plain cross carved on the east and west faces, is thought to have marked the boundary of a religious or secular sanctuary in the past.
An Historic Scotland marker plaque on the wall opposite The Stob Cross states: “Possibly marking the limit of an ancient sanctuary enclosure associated with the original early Christian church dedicated to St. Drostan who lived in the seventh or eighth century.”
It is reported that in 1790, when the cross was in danger of falling, the Earl of Leven had the position faced up with masonry.
The Stob Cross now stands on a modern two-stepped base and is still visible from the road on a small mound as you head out of the town.