Dysart Tolbooth on the High Street was erected in 1576 and marks the centrepiece of Dysart’s historic buildings.
It was extensively renovated in 2009 as part of the Dysart Townscape Initiative.
The Tolbooth was used as a public weigh-in and measures house; guards house and eventually a prison, with an extension added in 1617.
It was also used to keep explosives and, when it was occupied by Oliver Cromwell’s troops in 1651, one of them accidentally dropped a match into a barrel of gunpowder, causing the roof to be blown apart.
The upper part of the building, which is owned by Fife Council, was rebuilt between 1733 and 1734 with an ashlar bell-chamber and a stone ogile roof.
A plaque about the building was unveiled by Kirkcaldy Civic Society.