A WAR of words has broken out between Dysart residents and Fife Council over plans to build a new children’s home in the burgh.
Locals have accused Councillor Tim Brett, social work committee chairman, of ‘taking the moral high ground.’
They say they object to the £1.2m project because the three-storey home is mooted for land previously set aside for regeneration - NOT because it is a kids’ home..
Now they are calling on the Council to re-think the location after a poll revealed the majority were against it.
Members of the Dysart Regeneration Forum hit out at Cllr Brett after he said he was “astonished that some people would question the value of building a home for children who can’t live at home”.
Margaret Ednie, from the Forum, said: “Ninety-nine per cent of people who we asked agreed this was not the right site for the home.
‘‘A lot of people were upset at the comments made by Councillor Brett - they feel Fife Council is saying we don’t want this built here because it’s a children’s home,. That is not the case.
‘‘Councillor Brett has taken the moral high ground, but the majority of people here are saying it doesn’t fit with the regeneration we were promised.”
Councillor Brett said he stood by his comments.
He told the Press he attended the last drop-in session, and added: “Questions around the regeneration of Dysart were asked – these are valid points that people quite rightly want answers to.
‘‘However, I stand by my previous comment. This was made in response to negative comments received about these children and why they should have a new home.
“The house will provide care for these young people, enabling them to be part of the community. “
l The next drop-in session is at Dysart Primary School on October 3, from 4.15 p.m.