A NEW chapter, in a saga which has dragged on for almost a decade, opened this week with the lodging of a planning application by Old Course Ltd. to carry out work at the former Craigtoun Hospital.
The application is for listed building consent to demolish the extension and alter the interior and exterior of the former hospital and one-time mansion house, adjoining the Duke's Golf Course and Craigtoun Park outside St Andrews.
It was lodged by the Unwin Jones Partnership in May on behalf of the American-owned hotel.
In April 1998, plans for a 6 million redevelopment of the former Craigtoun Hospital were unveiled in a blaze of publicity, when proposals to convert the former Mount Melville mansion house into a luxury golf and country club, with health spa and resort accommodation, were lodged with Fife Council.
The proposals for the property, built in 1698 for General George Melville of Strathkinness and rebuilt in the 18th century, included demolition of the 1970s concrete extension built to accommodate maternity suites. At the time further proposals, not included in the 6m first phase, to develop 36 timeshare units there were also put forward.
Read more in this week's Citizen