DCSIMG

Candle and pizza box set bath alight in Burntisland

Fire crews attended the Burntisland property.

Fire crews attended the Burntisland property.

 

Fire crews were called to a fire in a Burntisland flat in the early hours of Friday morning.

The alarm to the blaze in Rossend Terrace was raised at around 2.00 a.m.

The fire was caused by a candle that had ignited a pizza box.

The male occupant had moved the candle and pizza box to the bathroom in an attempt to extinguish the fire which resulted in igniting the bath.

Crews from Burntisland and Kirkcaldy attended the ground floor flat and donned breathing apparatus to enter the property and extinguish the fire.

The man was checked over by ambulance personnel at the scene for mild smoke inhalation, but did not require hospital treatment.

Steven Michie, station manager, said: Whether you are using candles to scent or decorate your home please remember to extinguish them before you go to sleep and never leave them unattended even for a second.

“If you must use candles please ensure they are in a non combustible candle holder and placed on a non combustible surface.

“Fortunately in this incident a working smoke detector alerted the occupant to the fire providing that vital early morning.

“Fire can very quickly get out of control.

“Attempting to tackle a fire yourself is extremely dangerous and risks the fire escalating.

“The time taken to attempt to deal with the situation yourself can delay the alert reaching your community’s professionally trained and equipped firefighters, costing second and minutes that could prove crucial.

“The simple message is if you see a fire, get out, stay out and call us out.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page