DCSIMG

Cheers (and tears) for Queen’s Baton Relay in Glenrothes

Waiting for Video...
 
 

Glenrothes folk young and old came onto the streets on Thursday to welcome the Commonwealth Games Queen’s Baton Relay as it paraded through the town.

The procession, which was visiting a number of towns and communities in Fife as part of its 4000 kilometre journey around the UK ahead of the Games in Glasgow, travelled first along Viewfield stopping at Michael Woods Sports Centre before progressing along Stenton Road, Beaufort Drive, Pitteuchar and Rothes Roads.

It was eventually welcomed by a number of children from Glenrothes primary schools and Fife Provost Jim Leishman in the town centre.

The relay had arrived in the town 45 minutes late, leaving Glenwood High School teenager Brandon Mills nervously waiting to play his once-in-a-lifetime part in the historic event.

“It’s a bit nerve-wracking but a huge honour to be able to represent not only my school but Glenrothes as a whole today, it’s brilliant and the wait was certainly worth it,” the 13-year-old told the Gazette.

Once the cavalcade had arrived, Brandon was handed the ornate baton which weighs 1.6kg and contains a special Commonwealth message from the Queen.

A number of elderly sports and fitness groups were given a chance to mark the occasion with a photograph before the baton was handed over to Rodney Dawson to send it back on its journey.

Children from local schools were in fine voice in Stenton Road as they helped the baton on its way.

Loud cheers and enthusiastic flag waving greeted the procession as it arrived at Fife House, home of Fife Council in the town centre, where office staff and councillors joined youngsters to witness the baton’s arrival in the town centre.

However spectators, some of who had stood for up to 90 minutes in Pitteuchar and Rothes Roads, were left feeling disappointed as they got nothing more than a glimpse of the baton held out of the window of the lead car as it sped by.

Rimbleton resident Penny Anderson, who had waited for around 45 minutes, said the whole event had been a “huge let down”.

“I didn’t even get to see the baton it travelled past so fast,” she said.

“People had been waiting a lot longer than me and I really feel sorry for the many school children that had been sat patiently who really didn’t get to see much at all.

“Why couldn’t they have put it in an open top vehicle for the driven parts of the route, at least we might have more of a chance to see it,” she added.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page