DCSIMG

Gas leak forces school closure

Buckhaven Primary School

Buckhaven Primary School

IT’S business as usual after a gas leak prompted the closure of a Levenmouth school and nursery.

Staff at Buckhaven Primary were forced turn away pupils at the gates on Wednesday last week after the school’s janitor detected a strong smell of gas from a boiler in the basement.

Engineers from Scotland Gas Networks arrived quickly at the school on College Street and shut the boiler down after the alert was raised at 8am.

Headteacher Lynn Dyas said the safety of pupils and staff was of “paramount importance”.

She added: “As well as using the FifeDirect closure service to notify parents and carers, staff were deployed to the school and nursery grounds and also the main routes to the school.

“This ensured they met as many parents and carers as possible to explain to them what had happened face-to-face.

“I’d like to thank staff for their efficient and effective response to this situation and to parents and carers for their understanding.”

The incident meant pupils at Buckhaven Primary, which has a roll of 304, had two days off last week instead of one.

SGN engineers spent the majority of Thursday morning at the school and the problem was completely fixed by Friday, when staff went ahead with a scheduled in-service day.

It was business as usual at the school on Monday.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page