DCSIMG

Impassioned plea as Glenrothes school decision looms

Tanshall school closure parents and pupils demo

Tanshall school closure parents and pupils demo

 

Calls have been made to Fife Council to meet the wishes of the children of Tanshall and save their primary school from closure.

Opposition leader Peter Grant told fellow Glenrothes councillors at this months Area Committee that there is “no case, either financially or educationally, in closing the school”.

However, his motion was rejected by six votes to four by the Labour-led committee in favour of a motion by councillor Kay Morrison to wait until the consultation findings are published today, (Wednesday).

In an impassioned address Mr Grant said: “I still believe we should be able to give every child in west Glenrothes a new school and that it would cost less than the process we are going through now.

“Closing all of the schools together does not save a tenth of a per cent of what the council needs to save, there is no argument for closure at all.”

He added: “I would ask everyone to listen to the children of Tanshall and keep their school open.”

Councillor Morrison said: “The focus, for me, is on education, the question of that is more important than the building, although I recognise they are often connected.

“But we have to use the resources we have to provide the best education for all pupils.”

Several councillors paid tribute to the numerous parents who filled the public seating for the way they have conducted their campaign.

Mr Grant said there had not been a credible reason for Tanshall to be closed in the 14 month-long process.

He added: “One of the few things the old GDC got right in designing the precincts was not to have to cross a main road on the way to school, something that will be lost when the children are dispersed to other schools.”

TIMELINE

January 15 -Consultation findings published.

February 3 -Findings put before special education scrutiny committee .

February 5 - Last chance for Glenrothes councillors to debate closure proposals at area committee.

February 11 Executive Committee to decide on closure proposals

It could then be called into scrutiny again on February 25 and then reported back to the executive on March 4, then full council after that.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page