A timely exhibition looking at Cupar’s long association with the law, including the police and Sheriff Court, is proving popular at the town’s Heritage Centre.
Following the closure of the court at the end of May (its business has controversially been transferred to Dundee), the centre, located next to the station, has acquired some items from the court, which operated from the County Buildings.
The legal display, growing steadily under the banner heading, ‘Who Will to Cupar, Maun to Cupar,’ began when two prison cell doors, saved from the old police station, were donated to the centre by Fife Council.
More recently, a couple of posters, printed in the 1830s and seeking the apprehension of those responsible for a ‘Murder’ and, worse, a ‘Horrid Murder’, joined the collection.
The articles from the court include small items of furniture, some signs and the clock, made by John Hood of 77 Bonnygate.
Fixed to the wall at the back of the court and facing the sheriff, it is thought the clock was probably mounted there in 1860, the date displayed on the pendulum glass.
Heritage chairman, Guthrie Hutton, said this week that Cupar’s position as a centre of legal administration was a very important part of the town’s past.
The heritage group is keen to expand the legal exhibit and would welcome any additions from law firms.
“It is important that such items and material are kept for future generations.”
The law display is only a small part of what can be seen at the centre this year, with the exhibit relating to Bell Baxter School’s 125th anniversary proving a big attraction
Similarly, the display on the First World War and its impact on Cupar has been a real eye-opener for people and attracted much praise.
The centre is open on Saturday mornings from 10.30 to 1.30pm and on Sundays and Wednesdays between 2.00pm and 4.30pm.