DCSIMG

'OLD BOY' AT NEW PARK

AN 'old boy' of New Park School returned on Monday to help celebrate a special occasion

Mr John Hunter was one of the original pupils who attended the St Andrews school after it was founded in 1933 by Cuthbert Dixon at 98 Hepburn Gardens, its current site, with 13 boys who were all day pupils.

First chairman of the Board of Directors was Mr Hunter's father, Colonel Walter James Henry Hunter, who played a leading part in the foundation.

John Hunter was educated at New Park from 1933, aged eight, until 1938 when he moved on to Charterhouse to complete his school education.

He then gained an Open Scholarship to Trinity College, Oxford where he gained an MA in History and a Diploma in Education.

He held various teaching positions prior to being promoted to deputy head of Stand Grammar School in Greater Manchester in 1974. With changes in education, his school emerged as Stand Sixth Form College and he became vice-principal in 1979.

He remained there until 1984, the year of his 60th birthday, and retired to St Andrews with his wife in 1985.

Since then, Mr Hunter has played an active part in the local community including his work with the Citizens Advice Bureau, as a Trustee of the Preservation Trust, Vestry Clerk of All Saints Episcopal Church, Chairman of the Music Club and as a Committee Member of the New Park Club.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page