Residents in the Newcastle precinct of Glenrothes are continuing to contest plans for a new housing development that could double the number of houses in the immediate area.
The Concerned Newcastle Residents Group (CNR) met with Glenrothes MP Lindsay Roy and MSP Tricia Marwick last week and, on Monday, handed in a petition to Fife Council ,which has 330 signatures and over 20 letters of objection (individual and group letters).
The proposal to build around 300 new houses on the Milldeans Farm site, situated between Newcastle and Leslie, is part of the Council’s Local Development Plan and is on a ‘preferred site’, designated by the local authority.
A development strategy consultation on the Local Plan draws to a close today (Wednesday). Yet the ‘FIFEPlan – Strategy and Site Assessment Information’ is being discussed by councillors at the Glenrothes area committee today.
Both CNR and the local MP and MSPs asked for the discussion at the area committee to be postponed to enable Newcastle residents to have sufficient time to review and give comment on the proposed site.
However, Fife Council said this would not be possible.
Brian Sheerins, CNR chairman, explained the group was “very concerned” about the difficulty that many Newcastle residents had in entering comments on the online consultation portal.
There are also concerns over the lack of information and public awareness of the scheme, with those in Newcastle not being directly told about the plans.
Mr Sheerins added: “We would like to thank the many concerned Newcastle residents that have, so far, supported us in raising concerns and objecting to the proposed ‘preferred site’ for housing at Milldeans Farm field.
“We hope they will continue to support CNR.”
A Facebook page – ‘Newcastle Concerned Residents’ – has been formed to keep residents up to date with developments and for the community to be able to discuss the housing proposals.