DCSIMG

Pressure mounts for decision from Tesco

Planning permission for the existing store and the derelict site next door was first granted almost five years ago

Planning permission for the existing store and the derelict site next door was first granted almost five years ago

People in Cupar are being warned not to ‘hold their breath’ following crunch talks by Tesco bosses about its plans for the town.

The retail giant’s property acquisitions committee met on Tuesday to decide the fate of the South Road site and has promised to announce its decision by the end of the month.

But Councillor Bryan Poole says that whatever the announcement it is certain to be met with scepticism.

“I just hope they {Tesco management} come to a decision that they will enact,” he told the Fife Herald.

“No more false promises; no more mis-leading information about the jobs they are going to create - it’s time they are honest with the people of Cupar and, just as important, their own staff who have lived with the same uncertainty as this community.

“In my view it’s the behaviour of Tesco as a corporate body - the aforementioned false promises - that has led to their loss of market share and has so badly damaged their reputation.

“Who knows, maybe they will surprise us all and make a positive announcement - and I hope there will be - but I’m not holding my breath and whatever they announce there is bound to be a huge degree of scepticism from this community.”

It was in May 2009 that Tesco was first given the go-ahead to build a new, larger store on the site of the existing outlet, with the promise of some 250 jobs.

But work has never started on the development and at the end of last year bosses admitted that any store might be smaller than originally planned.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page