The Fire Service has issued a warning about the dangers of aerosols after being called out to a number of incidents in Riverside Park recently.
Many aerosol sprays can explode if subjected to higher temperatures and significantly increase the severity of a fire.
The warning comes as the good weather can lead to an increase in fires in rubbish bins, grassland and wooded areas.
“The important issue is that young people should understand the danger of lighting fires,” said Glenrothes station manager Graham Arnott.
“As well as potentially delaying attendance at a more serious incident, fire setting can result in injury, property damage and environmental pollution.
“We ask local residents and businesses to ensure that rubbish does not accumulate outside their property and that wheelie bins are stored in a safe and secure area until collection.
“Bin and rubbish fires can quickly take hold and spread to buildings and vehicles, posing a major risk to life and property.
“If a fire gets out of control contact the fire and rescue service immediately using 999 giving details of location and access to the site.
“Stay well back and await the arrival of firefighters, never try to tackle the blaze yourself.”
Mr Arnott also warned that a controlled burning should never be left unattended or attempted close to buildings and weather conditions must always be considered.
Residents can arrange for a free home safety visit by calling 0800 0731 999, texting ‘check’ to 61611 or visiting the website www.firescotland.gov.uk.
Fife Council Environmental Services are on 0345 155 0011 for information on accumulative rubbish.