Man in hospital after blaze near St Andrews

Units from Kirkcaldy and Methil attended the fire
Units from Kirkcaldy and Methil attended the fire
0
Have your say

Three appliances from St Andrews, Cupar and Anstruther and were called into action in the early hours of this morning for a fire in a row of cottages in Denhead.

The call came in at 2.30am after a blaze broke out in the kitchen of one of the cottages where the occupant was believed to have been working on his motorbike.

The man was taken to Ninewells Hospital, Dundee, for burns to his arms.

The fire was said to be well alight by the time the fire service arrived - with a partial collapse in a section of the cottage - and crews used four hose-reel jets to control the flames.

All residents in the adjoining cottages were evacuated and a pet cat also had a lucky escape.

Once the fire was extinguished, officers were able to enter the property and discovered the cat had survived by hiding under a bed.

Officers also returned to the scene this morning to check for any hotspots.