Man treated in hospital after Links St fire drama

The block of flats in Links Street where fire broke out on Tuesday morning
The block of flats in Links Street where fire broke out on Tuesday morning
0
Have your say

A man was helped by firefighters from his ground floor flat in Kirkcaldy on Tuesday morning after a fire broke out around 8.45 a.m.

The man, in his 60s, who was alone in the Links Street premises, was taken to hospital where he was treated for smoke inhalation and released later.

Two appliances from Kirkcaldy attended the blaze which was contained to combustible materials in the living room of the smoke-damaged flat.

No other residents in the block of four were affected, although the communal stairwell was affected by smoke for some time.

James Clark (82), of 77 Links Street, lives above the affected property.

He said: “The first I knew was when I saw the fire engines and police in the street. I wasn’t long out of my bed and I watched from the window. An ambulance arrived and when I went to my door and opened it, the close was full of smoke, so I quickly shut the door and came back in again.

“The police came to my door a while later to say it was all clear and everything was alright.”

Mr Clark’s daughter, Brenda McLaren (59), who lives in nearby Barnet Crescent, said her father had called her around 11 a.m. to say there had been a fire in the flat below.

“I am really glad it wasn’t any more serious because my dad can’t manage the stairs on his own, as he has mobility difficulties, and he could have been trapped in his house,” she said.