The long-established family business of James Pirie of St Andrews is to close its shop premises in Greyfriars Garden.
It has been one of Scotland’s leading retailers of crystal, fine china and collectables since 1890, when it was founded to furnish the mansions and large houses of fashionable Victorian St Andrews.
The current recession has sharply reduced demand for higher-priced gifts and collectables.
The local firm, whose customer base is worldwide, has also battled the well publicised challenges faced by many independent town centre shops, including limited and expensive parking, high rates and also competition from multiple stores, out of town centres and the internet - although the majority of its sales are now on the internet to customers all over the UK and overseas.
The shop premises will close its doors later this year.