retired civil servant John (Jack) Gilmour, a holder of the Distinguished Flying Medal, has died in St Andrews Community Hospital. He was 89.
Mr Gilmour (pictured) and his wife, Nessie - the couple celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in 2005 - retired to St Andrews in the 1980s, having spent many happy holidays in the town over the previous 50 years.
Glasgow-born Mr Gilmour was educated at Albert School, Springburn, leaving at the age of 15 to join the Post Office.
At the outbreak of World War Two, he volunteered for the RAF and served as a navigator on Lancaster bombers with 514 Squadron, Waterbeach, Cambridgeshire.
He left the RAF in 1946 as a warrant officer and was awarded the DFM for courage and devotion to duty while flying in active operations against the enemy during the hostilities, completing over 50 sorties between 1943-45.
On his return to civilian life, he resumed his Post Office career in Glasgow. He completed the executive class examination for the civil service, working first as an executive officer at Prestwick, before being transferred to Lerwick for three years with the National Assistance Board. In 1966 he was appointed manager of the Coatbridge office.
The couple’s sons, Iain and David, were born in 1959 and 1961 and the family moved to reside in North Staffordshire in 1969 when Mr Gilmour was appointed principal officer, managing what was then the largest Department of Health and Social Security office in the country at Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent.
In 1979 he became a senior principal officer with the department and then deputy regional controller for the Midlands.
He retired in 1983 and was awarded the OBE the same year in recognition of his dedicated public service.
A keen golfer, Mr Gilmour was a member of the New Golf of St Andrews.
He is survived his his wife and sons, Iain and David, who are both graduates of St Andrews University, and two grandsons, Robert and Euan.