Stitches for Guy (6) after building site accident

Paula Norris with son Guy
Paula Norris with son Guy
2
Have your say

A KIRKCALDY woman has vented her anger at the local authority after her son was injured by debris left scattered on a new Council housing site in the town.

Paula Norris’ four-year-old, Guy, had been playing with friends on the site behind the B&Q store in Central Fife Retail Park - where new Council houses are being built by contractor Campion Homes - when the accident happened on Saturday afternoon.

She claims he was accidentally hit by a fence post which had been left lying along with other debris scattered on the site and as a result, needed six stitches on his face.

Paula told The Press she was annoyed the contractor took away fencing last Friday, but claims workers left a lot of bricks, tarmac and fence posts lying - which poses a danger.

She said: “A lot of the site where my son was playing was left exposed. Another boy threw the fence post which hit him, but it wasn’t his fault - my son was just unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

‘‘He was knocked flat out.

“I had to take him to hospital to get six stitches between his nose and lip.

‘‘That debris should not have been left lying - it’s a health and safety issue. I have tried contacting the Council but no-one has called me back about this. That site should not have been left open - it’s dangerous.”

Alan Russell, Fife Council senior manager, said: “We are very sorry to hear about this incident and would like to apologise for any distress this has caused. The contractor is still working on site and had secured the materials for the weekend.

‘‘ Unfortunately, the area was broken into and materials scattered.

‘‘The contractor has made arrangements to secure the materials again.”