One of the first halls built for community use in the earliest days of the new town’s development, is to be demolished after being unused for years.
The Self Help Hall, which makes up part of St Margaret’s Church in Woodside, was built by volunteers in 1956, two years after the church itself was completed.
In those early days of the church and town, St Margaret’s was very much at the centre of the community as there was little else in the town.
With the growing need for a public meeting space and the large influx of people, especially with children now settling in Glenrothes, it led to the building of the detached Self Help Hall to meet the needs of the congregation and the wider community at that time.
But having lain empty for a number of years because of lack of insulation, growing maintenance costs and the lack of adequate toilet facilities, the building is now deemed to be in a dangerous condition.
A planning application has now been submitted to Fife Council for permission to demolish the hall and use the space for additional car parking facilities.
With the church having just eight parking spaces and a current congregation of around 300, it says people are being forced to park on grass verges and side roads at peak times.
The proposed new car park will provide additional parking for 24 cars including three disabled parking spaces.
The application is expected to be determined within the next two months.