Tragic end to Methil blaze rescue

The fire damaged flat on Methil High Street
The fire damaged flat on Methil High Street
0
Have your say

A METHIL man died following a fire at his flat on the town’s High Street in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Robert Thomson (47) was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation before being transferred to Victoria Hospital in Kirkcaldy where he died on Sunday.

Fife Fire and Rescue Service said it was alerted to the incident at 2.27am and two appliances from Methil were sent to the blaze at 304 High Street.

A spokesperson for Fife Police said the incident was not being treated as suspicious.

Mr Thomson’s family asked for privacy from the media as did some of Mr Thomson’s neighbours.

One, however, did tell the Mail it had been a “stressful weekend” and added the fire had “just been an accident”.

On the Mail’s Facebook page, June Philip, who said she used to live below Mr Thomson, posted “poor Rab”, Tracy McKain posted “R.I.P”.

A Fife Fire and Rescue spokesperson said its appliances were in attendance until 3.54am on Saturday morning and had removed Mr Thomson from the building.

The Scottish Ambulance Service sent a rapid response unit.

The first floor flat, which is accessed round the back of the High Street at South Grove, has been left blackened by the fire and has since been boarded up.