Two cats die after ingesting poison in Fife

The Scottish SPCA is investigating
The Scottish SPCA is investigating
0
Have your say

The Scottish SPCA is appealing for information after two cats from the same household died after being poisoned with a highly toxic chemical in Fife.

Scotland’s animal welfare charity was alerted on June 28 by the cats’ owners who live at an address in Dunfermline.

Post mortem results showed residues of the poison in both cats’ stomach contents.

Inspector Nicola Liddell said: “The post mortem results showed residues of cat food and the chemical in the cats’ stomachs, indicating they had ingested food laced with the substance.

“The owners had taken the first cat to the vets because it appeared unwell and sadly it died a short time later at the vet practice.

“Tragically, when they arrived home from the vets they found their other cat lying dead in their neighbour’s garden.

“The owners are understandably devastated to have lost not one but two pets under these dreadful circumstances.

“We want to warn other cat owners in the area of the danger and we are appealing for information as to where this poison may have come from.”

PC Linsday Kerr who is a Wildlife and Environmental Crime Officer based in Glenrothes said: “This incident left the owner of these cats extremely upset and we’re working closely with our partners at the Scottish SPCA as we look to establish the full set of circumstances.

“Anyone with information that can assist with this ongoing investigation is asked to contact police immediately on 101.”

Those with information can also call the Scottish SPCA animal helpline on 03000 999 999.