Shoppers and businesses in Cupar have expressed dismay at the level of disruption caused by the town centre roadworks.
The first phase of a £1.6 million project to improve traffic flow is now well under way, with much of the western side of the Crossgate excavated to accommodate the Mercat Cross.
The monument, which is being re-located for the third time in its 330-year history, is being moved from its central location to allow lorries to turn safely into the Bonnygate.
But the work has meant the temporary loss of car parking spaces, disruption to bus services and difficulty accessing the shops - and some traders say it’s hitting them hard.
They were due to meet Fife Council transportation officials and a representative from the contractors, Wills Brothers, last night (Thursday) to thrash out their concerns.
Colin Clark, secretary of the Association of Businesses in Cupar and District (ABCD) said that fears had been raised about the impact on local firms before work started - but that the reality had taken some by surprise.
“The effect on trade has been quite significant,” he said.
“I don’t think people could envisage the sheer scale of the operation.
“The whole idea is to help traffic flow more easily through the town and we can only hope that in a year’s time when the work is complete the short-term loss being experienced at present will prove to have been worth it.”
A specialist sub-contractor is due to undertake the delicate job of moving the Cross on November 4, and work in the Crossgate is due to finish on November 16.
The setts which have been removed are to be re-used in the new parking bays in Crossgate.