Woman injured in Glenrothes kitchen fire

A woman suffered burns to her hands after a chip pan fire.
A woman suffered burns to her hands after a chip pan fire.

A woman suffered burns to her hands after a fire in her kitchen in Glenrothes on Sunday morning.

The alarm was raised to the chip pan blaze in

Firefighters quickly extinguished the flames within the kitchen and requested an ambulance to attend.

Gel packs were applied to the woman’s hands until the ambulance arrived and she was taken to Victoria Hospital for further treatment.

Dave Latto, station manager said: “Our advice to anyone who does experience a fire within the home is to get out, stay out and call us out. Close the door behind you and never try to tackle a fire yourself.

“More fires begin in the kitchen than in any other room of the house and traditional chip pans are a particularly high fire risk. We would urge everyone take a few simple steps to keep themselves and those around them safe.

“By never leaving pans unattended while in use and by keeping any flammable materials, such as kitchen towels, etc., away from sources of ignition, we can dramatically reduce the chance of fire starting.

“Chip pan fires very quickly spread flames, toxic smoke and heat so having early warning is vital to preventing serious injury or worse. There is much less chance of someone being seriously hurt or killed by fire if a house is protected by working smoke alarms.

“Having a smoke alarm fitted can limit the damage to property by allowing firefighters the chance to respond earlier to extinguish the fire. Working smoke alarms provide householders with an early warning that will enable them to escape the property during the early stages and can prevent injuries and deaths caused by fire.”