RADIO DJ Chris Evans has allegedly been banned from participating in this year’s Dunhill Links Championship.
The 2012 pro-celebrity golf tournament is due to be played over the Old Course in St Andrews, the championship course at Carnoustie and the Kingsbarns links from October 4-7.
According to Evans’ column in a national Sunday newspaper he has been “barred for life” from the prestigious event.
Evans (46) won the Pro-Am title last autumn with professional golfer partner Nick Dougherty. However, reports in various newspapers claim that the pair’s impressive score of 40-under-par in the 72-hole event raised eyebrows.
Neither Evans nor the tournament organisers have explained the reasons for the ban, but the BBC Radio 2 star has hinted that his handicap of 10 last year was said to be too high to reflect his ability.
In his column, Evans said:”Sadly, I will not be defending my title this year. Why? It transpires I’ve been barred for life.
“I could go into why but frankly it’s all a bit of a bore. Suffice to say, if we were kids in the playground, the boy who owns the ball just took it home in a huff because his team didn’t win.”
It was also reported that Evans denied that he is bitter about the decision despite having already booked the week off from his morning radio show, but admitted he is toying with the idea of getting some revenge.
The Citizen asked tournament organisers for a comment but did not provide one by the time it went to press.