A chance to buy a slice of Fife's history
Househunters with deep pockets are being given the opportunity to snap up not one but two of Fife's most historic houses.
Offers over £770,000 are being invited for Ferrymuir House, a Georgian mansion just outside Cupar, while a cool £2.2 million-plus will secure Pitcairlie House in Newburgh, the birthplace of Major General David Leslie, who fought on both sides during the English Civil War.
Set in a hectare of grounds overlooking Hill of Tarvit, Ferrymuir House dates back to 1810.
The original house was built of sandstone and has been extended by two modern pavilions on either side.
Rob McGregor, from Edinburgh-based Gilson Gray Property Services, said: “Ferrymuir House is a genuine one of a kind – and the chance for a buyer to own an historic mansion for less than many Edinburgh detached properties.
“From the expansive grounds, bordered by mature woodland to Roman Doric columns supporting the front porch every aspect of this home is sure to interest potential buyers.”
The six-bedroom mansion is complemented by two-and a half acres of gardens feature a summerhouse, two greenhouses and several outbuildings.
There’s also an extensive basement with a workshop, bathroom, two games rooms, cellar and stores.
Meanwhile there’s a chance to own a little piece of British history for anyone with at least £2.2 millionto spare.
Pitcairlie House, which is being sold by Savills, dates from the early 16th century, although the land on which it was built can be traced by to 1312, when it passed into the ownership of the Leslie family.
David Leslie was born there in 1600, and went on to fight for both the Royalists and Parliamentarians, leading a cavalry charge for Oliver Cromwell in 1644 before going on to lead Scottish Royalist forces later in the conflict.
He was captured at the Battle of Worcester and sent to the Tower of London, where he languished until 1660. Later, he was given the title of Lord Muir, and died in 1682, aged 82.
In the mid 18th century, Pitcairlie House was bought by Colonel James Cathcart, and remained in his family’s hands until the mid-1960s.
The seven-bedroom, A-listed mansion comes with 99 acres of land, and in its garden can be found a lime tree reputed to be the largest in Scotland.