Looking back - Building Kirkcaldy harbour

Photo courtesy of Mr Sword
Photo courtesy of Mr Sword

Kirkcaldy Harbour was established in the 16th century, confirming the town’s status as an important trading port, bringing timber from Scandinavia which was used at Edinburgh Castle.

By the 17th century, exports included hides, wool, salmon, coal and salt, with beer being imported from the Continent.

Further expansion of the harbour took place 1906-09, with a larger Outer Harbour, new South Pier and a further extension to the East Pier, to cope with increasing exports of linoleum and coal, along with paper, malt, and textiles.

The port was taken over by the American Navy during World War One.