The Dysart Burgh School was established in 1881, sixteen years before our picture of an all-girls class was taken.
It was the amalgamation of two schools, South School, which stood at the east end of the High Street, and North School, at the top of School Brae, which had opened in 1873 when a school board was established.
The Female Industrial School was also opened around this time.
Before the South and North merged the two were fierce rivals and running battles between pupils were a regular sight.
In September 1916 a new school, Blair Hill, was opened, which would become the present day Dysart Primary School, 100 years old in 2016.