Our picture shows the Queen Margaret ferry which operated on the ‘Queensferry Passage’, taking passengers over the Forth between North Queensferry and South Queensferry, a route which is known to go back as far as the 11th century to the time of Queen Margaret.
It was built in 1934 along with another ferry named Robert The Bruce.
They would be followed by the Mary Queen of Scots in 1949 and finally, making up four vessels in the fleet, came the Sir William Wallace in 1956.
The crew consisted of a captain, mate, engineer, ticket clerk and two deckhands.
The ferry crossing came to an end in 1964 with the opening of the Forth Road Bridge.