18 year-old woman falls on rocks at Fife coast 'with suspected significant injuries' airlifted to hospital by coastguard helicopter

In a rescue operation involving the HM Coastguard, the RNLI and ambulance services, an 18 year-old woman with ‘suspected significant injuries’ who fell on rocks at the Fife coast in the early hours of today was airlifted to hospital by a helicopter.

Wednesday, 10th March 2021, 2:00 pm
Updated Wednesday, 10th March 2021, 5:17 pm
A lifeboat was tasked with aiding the evacuation, however, the waves were too big for the lifeboat to safely get close inshore (Photo: RNLI).

Kinghorn RNLI Lifeboat’s volunteer crew were paged at 1.24 am after a person fell on rocks at East Wemyss, on the coast of Fife.

The female casualty, 18, had suffered “suspected significant injuries”, according to the RNLI.

Police Scotland commented that she fell “a short distance” from the rocks.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A lifeboat was tasked with aiding the evacuation from a remote part of the Fife Coastal Path.

However, on arrival, the waves were too big for the lifeboat to safely get close inshore.

Other emergency services including Kinghorn Coastguard and Leven and St Andrews Coastguard Teams were tending the casualty.

The Scottish Ambulance Service was also attending the scene.

A SAS spokesperson said: “We received a call at 0048 hours today (March 10) to attend an incident in East Wemyss.

"We dispatched one ambulance, a paramedic response unit and our special operations team to the scene.

A UK Coastguard helicopter from Prestwick was then tasked and winched the casualty before taking them to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary for treatment.

The female has since been discharged.

An HM coastguard spokesperson said: “Just before 1am today (March 10) the Leven and Kinghorn Coastguard Rescue Teams, the Kinghorn RNLI lifeboat and the search and rescue helicopter from Prestwick were sent to assist the Scottish Ambulance Service at East Wemyss beach with a casualty who had fallen from rocks.

"The lifeboat was unable to get close to the shore due to the size of the waves and therefore the casualty was airlifted by the helicopter and taken to the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary for treatment.”

When the helicopter arrived, the RNLI lifeboat was stood down to return to station in challenging sea conditions due to the strong westerly wind affecting the area.

A message from the Editor:Thank you for reading this article. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by Coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

If you haven't already, please consider supporting our trusted, fact-checked journalism by taking out a digital subscription.