Bank robbery suspect may have fled scene using public transport

The incident took place in Kirkcaldy on Wednesday. Picture by Fife Photo Agency.
The incident took place in Kirkcaldy on Wednesday. Picture by Fife Photo Agency.

Police in Fife believe a man they want to talk to in connection with a robbery and abduction in Kirkcaldy on Wednesday may have used public transport to leave the scene.

Police are continuing to carry out extensive inquiries in their ongoing investigation following the incident at the Mitchelston Industrial Estate.

CCTV footage analysis from surrounding premises, door-to-door inquiries and intelligence-led inquiries are being carried out by officers from Fife’s dedicated team of detectives.

Detectives are still keen to speak to anyone with information that can assist them with their inquiries and particularly if they recognise the description of the man below.

The man is described as white, 5ft 6in tall, of heavy build and wearing a dark green baseball cap, a dark green scarf, a thick dark blue jacket, tracksuit bottoms and sunglasses. He spoke with a distinctive Eastern European accent.

Detective Inspector Charlie Duncan is leading the investigation and said: “I believe the male we are looking for may have been hanging about in the area of the small industrial estate on The Avenue, Lochgelly between 12.15pm and 12.40pm on Wednesday, before he was able to get a taxi to take him to Kirkcaldy.

“I believe he was carrying a large blue canvas holdall with distinctive stripes on the corners. This male may have walked to this location from Lochgelly or may have been delivered there by another vehicle.

“We have recovered the holdall after the robbery, however I am not in a position to release an image of it at this time.

“I also know the male left the area of Carberry Road, Kirkcaldy, as he has been seen running along Carberry Place, which leads to the rear of the Asda store. I believe he may have tried to leave the area immediately and in doing so may have again used a taxi or public transport, which would have been around 2pm.

“I would ask anyone who believes they may have transported this male to come forward.”

Additional patrols will continue in the area to provide reassurance to residents and members of the public are encouraged to address any concerns with one of these officers.