A FORMER Cupar man who subjected his wife and children to a brutal reign of terror lasting almost two decades, is set to appeal his 15-year prison sentence.
Kenneth Blair, a former retained firefighter, was jailed at the High Court in Edinburgh in September after admitting a catalogue of sickening abuse described by hs own defence counsel as “barbaric”.
The 66-year-old was finally brought to justice following a year-long investigation was launched after one of his victims found the courage to go to the police.
Blair, who lived in Cupar’s Kinloss Park, had admitted terrorising his children by punching, kicking and thrashing them with a leather belt with a heavy buckle.
Jailing him, Judge Lady Stacey said: “You have pled guilty to charges which show that you subjected your family to violence, depravity and fear.
“For close on 20 years you assaulted your wife, and your son and your daughter for a period of about 13 or 14 years during that time.
“Nothing that has been said...can make up for the damage you caused your own family.”
The judge said the prison term had been reduced by 25 per cent — a discount because Blair had spared his victims the ordeal of giving evidence.
Blair had pleaded guilty to repeatedly slapping, punching and kicking his then wife Isabella, now 60, pulling her hair, striking her head against a door, hitting her with a belt and pushing her downstars.
Blair also admitted a catalogue of assaults on son Scott (42) and daughter Gillian (40), who were both in court and gasped as advocate depute Andrew Stewart QC, prosecuting, gave details of the offences.
The court heard how Isabella became a battered wife just a week into her marriage in September 1967.
Mr Stewart said that as well as the physical abuse Blair would prevent his children using the toilet during the night and then beat them for being “smelly”.
Blair, who has a record of convictions for sex with underage girls, also admitted raping a 12-year-old girl — who cannot be identified for legal reasons — attempting to rape her on another occasion, and sexually molesting her.
His appeal is due to be heard on December 7.