When Martyrs’ Church in St Andrews closed in 2008, the congregation left behind almost a century of history.
However, local craftsman Jim Brown has ensured that part of that history has now followed the congregation to Hope Park Church.
Martyrs’ Church on South Street was built in 1926-8 by Gillespie and Scott, influential architects in St Andrews, on the site of an earlier church.
It was closed as part of a rationalisation of church provision in St Andrews and the congregation united with Hope Park Church in 2010.
The building of Martyrs’ Church was acquired by St Andrews University and now houses the library’s special collections.
Jim makes hand crafted furniture from his workshop on Kincaple Farm near Guardbridge and this summer he was granted access to some the heritage oak in the form of pews removed from the church.
He jumped at the chance to make use of the beautiful wood and set about carefully dismantling a pew which had been commissioned by the Women’s Guild and stamped with an Edinburgh thistle hallmark of 1928.
Jim creates bespoke pieces, which this year have included everything from sideboards and mirrors to tables and stained glass doors, and in the case of the Women’s Guild pew, enough usable material was salvaged to transform it into a console table. Jim felt it was appropriate that the table should follow the congregation and he has now gifted it to Hope Park Church.
For for more about Jim’s work see woodcraftbyjimbrown.co.uk or drop into the workshop on Saturday, October 11, when there will be a woodcraft and pyrography exhibition featuring the work of Birkhill Artist Gail Duncan.