Fife man jailed on midnight assault and theft charges

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
A Methil man who admitted charges of theft and assault has been jailed for eight months.

Paul Cussick, of Den Walk, Methil, who is currently on remand, appeared via video link before Sheriff James Williamson at Kirkcaldy Sheriff Court.

Cussick, 42, admitted that on April 9 this year at an address in Wall Street, Buckhaven, he entered an insecure premises and stole clothing and a guitar.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He also admitted on the same date and in the same place, he assaulted the occupier of the premises.

Cussick appeared via video link before Sheriff Williamson at Kirkcaldy Sheriff Court.Cussick appeared via video link before Sheriff Williamson at Kirkcaldy Sheriff Court.
Cussick appeared via video link before Sheriff Williamson at Kirkcaldy Sheriff Court.

Cussick further admitted on April 15, 2020 at an address in Byron Street, Methil, he intentionally obstructed two police officers and attempted to conceal a quantity of white tablets with his mouth, refusing to surrender them and attempt to swallow them contrary to the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971.

The Procurator Fiscal Depute told the court: “At around midnight, the witness was asleep in the bedroom and had left the back door unlocked but closed.

"He was woken by a noise which sounded like a door was being opened but he thought this was a neighbour’s property.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"He went to the bathroom but when opening the door he felt some resistance like it was being held shut. When he managed to open the door he saw the accused standing there.

"He got hold of the accused and tried to get him out of the house. There was a struggle. He managed to get the accused out of his property through the back door. The accused then made his escape."

The Procurator Fiscal Depute continued: “During the struggle the witness pulled a hat off the accused, but he then realised it was his own hat. He also noticed that gloves, a guitar and another pair of gloves had been removed from his home.

"He contacted the police.”

Cussick’s defence agent said his client had tried the door which was unlocked and had gained entry to the property. He said the items taken were of relatively low value. He said the third charge spoke for itself.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Sheriff Williamson sentenced Cussick to serve eight months in prison for the offences.

Thank you for reading this article on our free-to-read website. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

Please consider purchasing a subscription to our print newspaper to help fund our trusted, fact-checked journalism.