Police hunt bogus workman after theft at elderly residential complex in Kirkcaldy

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
Calls have been made for better security after a bogus workman struck at a residential complex for elderly folk in Kirkcaldy.

The thief stole cash from a home within the Ross Gardens retirement housing complex off Overton Road.

It happened on March 17, and police are investigating.

The Fife Council-run complex consists of 29 bungalows and has its own warden. It is for elderly people who live independently in their own homes.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad
Ross Gardens retirement complex in KirkcaldyRoss Gardens retirement complex in Kirkcaldy
Ross Gardens retirement complex in Kirkcaldy

But worried relatives say more needs to be done to re-assure the residents of their safety after the incident left them shocked and frightened.

They highlighted the lack of CCTV cameras and security lights - one wanted door chains installed to give residents some re-assurance.

One said: “It’s a popular place, but residents are scared after what has gone on.”

Police confirmed they called to the complex at tea-time on Wednesday, March 17 following a report of a bogus workman.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad
Read More
Council ends discount parking trial in Kirkcaldy town centre

A spokesman said: “A small quantity of cash was stolen and enquiries are currently ongoing to establish those involved in the incident.”

Fife Council confirmed it was aware of the incident, and that it took security seriously.

Jan Halley, lead officer said: "If tenants need help with housing issues or other services, a retirement housing officer is on site during the week.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“Tenants also have access to a pull cord alarm system to alert an emergency response.

"We talk to residents regularly about security and everyone's home is secure. CCTV is planned for the complex in the near future.

"We are aware of one theft that has been reported and any crime is immediately reported to the police for appropriate action.”In response to complaints from relatives they had not been informed, she added: “ Relatives would only be contacted if the resident affected wanted that to happen."

Anyone with any information is asked to contact Police Scotland on 101 quoting incident 2562 of March 17.

Thank you for reading this article on our free-to-read website. We're more reliant on your support than ever as the shift in consumer habits brought about by Coronavirus impacts our advertisers.

Please consider purchasing a subscription to our print newspaper to help fund our trusted, fact-checked journalism.