SSPCA warning to pet owners after dog poisoned in Glenrothes

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
The Scottish SPCA is appealing for information and urging dog owners to be vigilant after a dog was poisoned in Greenwell Park, Glenrothes.

A spokesman for the charity said: “We were informed that the Westie, named Abbi, ingested rat poison which had been concealed in chunks of meat.

Scottish SPCA inspector, Robyn Gray, said, “Thankfully Abbi’s owner acted quickly and immediately rushed her to the vets at the first sign that something was wrong. Abbi’s faeces were black in colour which is a common sign of poisoning.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“Abbi had to be placed on a drip while at the vets and is now home but still needs medication.

Abbi had to be rushed to the vet after ingesting poisonAbbi had to be rushed to the vet after ingesting poison
Abbi had to be rushed to the vet after ingesting poison

“We are very concerned about the circumstances surrounding how Abbi came to be poisoned.

"This is a very serious incident which, had her owner not acted with such speed, could have had a very different outcome indeed.

“Using poison, or any dangerous item, with the intent of deliberately harming animals is a criminal offence and is enforceable by law.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“We would urge all pet owners to be vigilant while out walking their pets in and around the immediate environs of the Greenwell Park area.

“If your pet shows any signs that they may have been poisoned, please take them to the vet immediately. It is much better to be safe than sorry.

“If anyone has any information about this case or that toxic substances are being deliberately used against animals, then please call our confidential helpline on 03000 999 999.”