Voicemail evidence helped convict Kirkcaldy man who raped teenager

Photographer Ian Georgeson, 07921 567360'High Court of Justiciary ,Royal Mile, Edinburgh, Piper, Bagpipes
Photographer Ian Georgeson, 07921 567360'High Court of Justiciary ,Royal Mile, Edinburgh, Piper, Bagpipes

A man who raped a 15-year-old girl in Kirkcaldy has been convicted at trial.

Kyler Paterson (21) attacked the teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, at Dysart Road, Kirkcaldy, on April 5, 2015.

He was brought to justice as a result of his victim leaving a voicemail on her friend’s mobile phone describing the attack.

The High Court in Edinburgh on Friday heard how the young girl had the presence of mind to call a friend, who also cannot be named for legal reasons.

She left a voicemail on the girl’s phone in which she said “Get off me, get off me. You’re raping me. You’re raping me. Stop it”.

The message was played to jurors as evidence against Paterson, who denied sexually assaulting the female.

After the attack, the girl contacted police.

Detectives recovered the voicemail and discovered enough evidence to build a case against Paterson.

The story emerged after jurors convicted Paterson, of Kirkcaldy of rape at the end of a four-day trial.

Paterson, who has previous convictions, shook violently in the dock in the moments before judge Lord Clark remanded him in custody for the court to obtain reports.

He will be sentenced at the High Court in Paisley next month.

Lord Clark told him: “You have been convicted of a very serious crime and I must impose an appropriate sentence.”

During proceedings, the court heard how Paterson detained the teenager as she was walking along a beauty spot in the town. He held her against her will and held her down before raping her.

However, during the attack the girl managed to use her phone. She dialled the first number in her mobile phone’s contact list.

The court heard that the person who received the call didn’t answer and it went to voicemail and the teenager then left a message.

Despite the girl’s pleas, Paterson continued to sexually assault her.

During proceedings, Paterson gave evidence in his own defence.

He admitted to his defence solicitor advocate Iain Paterson that he had consensual sex with the teenager.

When Mr Paterson asked his client how he felt now about having sex with the girl, the rapist replied: “It is the biggest regret of my life.”

In cross examination, prosecution lawyer Ross Macfarlane asked Paterson about the girl’s requests for him to stop.

Paterson told the advocate depute: “I can’t remember her saying it. I can’t remember asking her to stop.”

Mr Macfarlane urged Paterson to tell the truth about what happened.

However, Paterson still maintained that he had done nothing wrong.

Following three hours of deliberation, jurors returned a guilty verdict.

Following the verdict, defence solicitor advocate Mr Paterson said he would not explain his client’s position until the sentencing hearing.

Paterson will be sentenced on October 11.