Cup final probe - police arrests in Fife

Police have made more arrests as part of their investigation into crowd trouble after the Scottish Cup final - and their operations included Fife.

Friday, 10th June 2016, 10:00 am
Updated Friday, 10th June 2016, 11:25 am
Police horses on the pitch at Hampden

Police Scotland confirmed today that a further 12 fans have been arrested in relation to the violence and disorder which followed the final whistle of Hibs’ victory over Rangers at Hampden last month.

Officers carried out a number of operations at a range of addresses in Edinburgh, Fife and Glasgow, bringing the total number of arrests to 28.

But officers leading the investigation stress this is only the ‘‘first phase’’ of their large-scale investigation - and more arrests are expected in the coming weeks.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Ten men aged between 17 and 50 years, were arrested and detained in police custody for a number of offences including alleged assault, vandalism, disorder and antisocial behaviour.

A further two 18 year-olds were the subject of a report to the Procurator Fiscal in connection with alleged disorder and assault at the game.

Detective Superintendent Kenny Graham said: ‘‘This is a large-scale investigation into the multiple acts of violence, disorder and vandalism, involving large numbers of people which occurred in the aftermath of the Scottish Cup Final.

’’I have a team of officers which has been working extensively to identify those individuals involved in violence and disorder, regardless of the colour of their scarf.

“Let me be very clear about this investigation; it is wide-ranging but utterly focused on those involved in violence and disorder. Due to the significant number of people concerned, there are three distinct phases - focusing on those involved in the most serious acts of violence, then those involved in disorder and those embroiled in acts of vandalism such as wrecking signage and goalposts.

“Identifying those concerned takes time but be in no doubt, if you were involved in these acts of disorder, expect a police officer to be knocking on your door.”

His warning came with the backing of Assistant Chief Constable Bernard Higgins who said the force would continue to work with the clubs and the football authorities.

He added: ‘‘We will also support any independent investigation being carried out by the SFA into the circumstances around the disorder after the cup final.”

Officers have been reviewing hours of CCTV and television footage, photography and material from social media. Significant work is being carried out by a dedicated team of officers who are analysing footage from cameras in the stadium and television production shots to identify those responsible for the disorder within the stadium at Hampden.

Already 16 arrests were made in the first week following the match for a range of crimes including assault. One person was charged with a number of separate assaults, one of which is allegedly on a woman and another where he allegedly used a chair. Individuals believed to have allegedly assaulted Rangers players and staff have also been arrested.

Police re-iterated their appeal to anyone involved directly in the disorder to come forward or for anyone with any information, including footage or images, to get in touch with the inquiry team on 0141 532 5457 or by emailing [email protected] Alternatively, members of the public can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111, where information can be provided anonymously.