cupar posties set for 24-hour strike

Dave Mitchell (Pic: Lisa Ferguson)
Dave Mitchell (Pic: Lisa Ferguson)

Cupar posties will walk out for 24 hours at 8.30am tomorrow (Saturday) in support of a sacked colleague.

Members of the Communication Workers’ Union voted overwhelmingly to strike after Royal Mail insisted they would not reinstate Dave Mitchell, a postman in the area for almost 30 years, despite being ordered to do so by a tribunal judge.

Mr Mitchell (57) was branded a ‘thief’ by Royal Mail after mail went missing.

But he has always protested his innocence and earlier this year a judge found there was ‘no basis’ for Royal Mail’s claims. Despite being ordered to give him his job back, Royal Mail said they would not do so ‘under any circumstances.’

Mr Mitchell has had huge backing from his colleagues and customers, many of whom are expected to gather at Cupar Post Office tomorrow in support of the striking posties.

A ballot revealed that 97 per cent of CWU members in Cupar were in favour of industrial action. But area secretary Kenny Logan said any disruption to Christmas deliveries would be kept to ‘an absolute minimum.’

Expressing his support for postal workers in Cupar, North East Fife MP Stephen Gethins said: “I have been disappointed by the behaviour of Royal Mail and their blatant disregard for the initial judgement which requested they reinstate Dave Mitchell.

“I am sure his colleagues have not taken this decision lightly; taking strike action is often the very last resort but in this case over 97 per cent of postal workers in Cupar have voted to back Dave. This shows the massive strength of feeling over an injustice to a hard working family man dedicated to his job and customers. I know that Dave has a great deal of support throughout the community and I hope this gives him heart at this very difficult time.

“I hope Royal Mail will take on board the high level of local opposition and reverse their stance.”