Union officials have warned that strike action over sacked postie Dave Mitchell could escalate Scotland-wide unless Royal Mail reinstate him.
Posties in Cupar are set to walk out for a second time this Monday in support of Dave, who was wrongly dismised amid allegations of stealing mail.
The organisation has twice been told by a tribunal judge to give the 58-year-old his job back but still refuse to do so.
And members of the Communication Workers’ Union say they have ‘no option’ but to take further strike action, which could spread to other offices in the branch and even throughout Scotland.
Branch secretary Kenny Logan said that he was ‘extremely concerned’ about Royal Mail’s insistence that Dave would not be re-instated and for members attending future tribunals.
“I would like to thank all members within Cupar for showing solidarity and support with regard to this serious issue,” he said.
“We’re determined to win reinstatement for David. If this doesn’t happen, this could escalate to a branch-wide dispute.”
Dave, who has over 27 years of service with Royal Mail, had been dismissed in December 2014, but subsequently won judgement in his favour at an employment tribunal in September of last year.
At the tribunal, judge Ian MacFatridge ruled that the dismissal was unfair and the primary remedy contained in the legislation was reinstatement.
The judge also criticised Royal Mail’s dismissing manager for a failure to properly investigate the allegation.
The court heard that, despite a search of his delivery van, his own personal car, his house and his person by company investigators after items of mail were reported missing on his round, no trace was found of anything.
Royal Mail then asked for a second hearing at which they insisted Dave would not be reinstated ‘under any circumstances’, again defying the judge’s ruling.